Saturday 31 January 2009

Fun times


My stir craziness was starting to get the better of me this week, so I am very relieved that I had some outlets for which to release it.


Last night, I went with the girls from Regent's Park (Joy, Sabrina, Erin, and Robyn) to their formal hall dinner. For you Oxbridge majors, it's like high table. For everyone else, it's a fancy dinner where everyone dresses up. I was very excited about it because I haven't had much of a chance to socialize or have a lot of "fun" here so far. I guess they think school should come first at Oxford. I don't know where they got that idea, but if I don't go with it, I'll fail...so I choose conformity.


So anyway, we all got dressed up and went to formal hall. It was a masquerade theme, so most of the students had masks. I didn't, but it wasn't a big deal - all the better to eat my food with. And what delicious food it was! Salad with fig and goat cheese, followed by a lamb stew with parsnips (which taste just like potatoes), and a bowl of fruit and wonderful ice cream to end the meal. It was also Lena's birthday, and Erin picked out a terrific bottle of white wine for dinner. Lena was kind enough to share with us.


After dinner, we went to a fondue party where we all out our chocolate fixes and observed how "real" Oxford students are. I think it would be nice to be part of Regent's Park or an actual college, rather than the program I am in, but at the same time we get the Warners. They are wonderful, and I wouldn't trade them for all the fondue parties in the world. It was a great time, though. We ended the night at the Eagle and Child. It was nice to be able to wind down after a long week of reading and paper-writing and before beginning another long week of reading and paper-writing, which began again today.


Today I read Rousseau's "The Social Contract." Took me most of the day, well about four hours, but that was enough to completely drain me. I am now brain dead. I went to the grocery store to get out of the house and get some fresh air. I feel much better now. Tonight Madison and I are going to see a local student production in town called "Blind Date." It's a comedy and should be a good time. We had hoped to be able to go to London today and see "Wicked," but it didn't work out as we had planned, so we'll have to go another time. Anyway, I'll let you know how "Blind Date" turns out.


That's all for now. I miss you all and think of you often. To all of my Melrose ladies and Gams - get Skype, so we can talk! I had a great conversation with my girl Ally Hall the other day, as well as brief hellos with some of my other Melrose girls. It was great to talk to you all, and I hope to do more of it soon. It's so great to be able to see your beautiful shining faces; makes me feel like I'm with you all. Goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment