Tuesday 13 January 2009

London, Lectures, Lewis

I'm already not doing as well as I'd like to on keeping up with this blog. I guess I'll start with today and work backwards. Tonight we went to London to see "The Woman in Black." It was a ghost story, and I have to say I never thought I would scream during a theatre performance. I had to hide myself behind my coat a couple of times. Bill Coberly even let out a yelp next to me. It was a wonderful show, though, and we all really enjoyed it. I can't wait to go back and see something else! Dirty Dancing is on my list of must-sees. I'm sure it's a great production! (And I want to here a British person say, "Nobody puts Baby in the corner.")

Lectures started this week, and I meet with my tutors on Thursday and Friday. Tomorrow I get to sleep in, which I'm extremely excited about because I haven't been able to get into the swing of things with this schedule yet. I am exhausted all day long, but can't seem to fall asleep at night, so the cycle continues. I need to get some rest before the work starts...and I can already tell I've got a lot of it coming my way in the next eight weeks. Political philosophy and the Holocaust. Even Francis felt a little sorry for my decision to take on such dreary subjects, but I really can't wait learn about this stuff. I'm a nerd; it's OK.

Among my host of new experiences this week have also been my two encounters with British pubs. We went to the Turf Tavern (where Bill Clinton "did not inhale") and the Eagle and Child (a favorite spot of C.S. Lewis and the first place the Chronicles of Narnia were actually read aloud). I drank my first beer (well, cider) and shared some great conversation with my wonderful friends from Jewell and the new people I've met in the past few days. I have to say I am so lucky to be with such a great group of people from Jewell. I really don't feel so far away from home with them to keep me company. I couldn't have asked for better traveling companions (of course, I wish Kristen were still here).

So that's the last couple of days in a nutshell. More to come after my meetings with my tutors. EEK!

No comments:

Post a Comment